The History of Callington Town Band
After some extensive research by supporters of the band, it was discovered that Callington had a Band which was active in 1859 through to 1933.
The following information has been found in various archives, you can scroll through the pictures below and click on them to enlarge them.
The band led a procession at the Philanthropic Society`s Festival
The band played at the opening of the first Reservoir at Ashburton Farm, Florence Road
The Band provided the music on a steamer trip from Calstock for the Cricket club.
The Band led the church parade of the Foresters, Oddfellows and Rechabites.
The Band played at the unveiling of a fountain in the wall of the Primary School by Lord Compton
The Band joined the celebrations in the Town marking the coronation of King George V
Opening of the New Market Hall and Fountain
The Band (conducted by My J Taylor) played at Callington Cricket Club annual fete, Carnival day and Bonfire Night
The Band performed for the afternoon and evening Boy Scouts grand fete at Haye, and also a Band of Hope Fete at St Ive
Click on an image to enlarge it
This photo is of a former Band member, RFN William John Smith 11148 1st Btn Kings Royal Rifle Corps, who was killed in action on 14th September 1914
William, who was born in St Mellion, was the Band's Principle Cornet player and his name is commemorated on the War Memorial in St Mellion.
In 2014, the band were part of a production, "And Some Came Home", which involved the Story of William John Smith. This production was kindly put together by the bands current Secretary, Shirley.
It can be viewed here with thanks to Tamar Valley TV
The. Band also led a grand Rally and Procession during a patriotic demonstration day.
They played at the Callington show under the directorship of Mr G Buzza
The Band led the procession for the Town Fete and Show. That year, they also performed at Pensilva festival, a picnic at Castleliegh, Callington Hospital Fete and sports days held at the Callington Cricket and Football clubs.
Mr James Jago conducted the band until his retirement in 1932. He passed away later that same year.
The following people were known to have been members of the band in 1932:
Bert Maunder - Cornet
Edward Blight - Side Drum
Harry Pollard - Bass
William Duance - Big Drum
Other names discovered in our research are Enoch Downs who was a clock maker and played Trombone, Reg Stevens, ? Steer and ? Edwards.
This photo is from George Bishop's book 'A Parish Album of Callington'. It shows the band leading a procession up into the Pannier Market on Remembrance Day some time in the 1920's. Parts of the Pannier Market were still open-fronted.
Further recorded events in 1927, 1928 and 1933 include two Hospital Sunday Processions and Callington Fete and Garden Show
Mr H Buzza made his appearance as conductor once again in 1933 at Metherall Sports Day.
It appears that Callington Town Band may have disbanded in 1934, as the Hospital Procession was led by Liskeard Silver Band
Events held in Callington from 1934 onwards were attended by visiting bands from Liskeard, Landrake, Launceston, Wadebridge or Torpoint.
We do not have any other information regarding these photos and would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on them
An account of the antics of "The old Callington Town Band", written by Lawrence Maker in 1953, when he gives a review of the year.
Click the cutting to enlarge it